Get the latest on coronavirus.  Sign up to the Daily Short  for information, explainers, how-tos, opinion and much more.

A major incident was announced in Greater Manchester as a result of gains in coronavirus infection rates across “several localities”, just days after the government declared new lockdown limitations for parts of north-west England.

The choice means the willingness of emergency and public services to respond to the escalating Covid-19 transmission rate in the area was upped so they can “react as effectively as you can ”.

It does not imply there are any additional adjustments to lockdown rules, a spokesman for Greater Manchester Combined Authority said.

Health secretary Matt Hancock announced late on Thursday that as of Friday, individuals from different families in Greater Manchester, parts of east Lancashire and West Yorkshire could be prohibited from meeting each other within their houses or in gardens after a spike in virus instances.

The new rules also prohibited members of two different families from blending in pubs, restaurants and other hospitality areas, but these businesses are permitted to stay available for those seeing independently or by the same household.

He said: “Recognising there are multiple localities across Greater Manchester seeing increases in infection rates, the team reviewed learning from several other recent areas, such as Leicester, and also its own learning from throughout the partnership and have taken the decision to declare this a major episode so as to respond as effectively as possible.

&ldquothis is going to enable us to maximise the capacity of agencies across Greater Manchester, such as additional resources if needed, to instigate a prompt and positive change in direction.

“It is part of our desire to safeguard the population of Greater Manchester and also supply them with the highest levels of assurance which agencies are doing whatever they can to reduce infection rates and bring Greater Manchester back to as close a state of normality as present times permit. ” 

It comes on the same day it had been reported Boris Johnson is mulling lockdown-such as conditions for London and asking the older to protect once more as part of strategies for avoiding another national lockdown.

The PM has ordered preparations to be made should there be a significant gain in the amount of fresh coronavirus ailments, The Sunday Telegraph and The Sunday Times said.

But Downing Street sources distanced themselves in the detail in the reports, calling them “insecure ”.

And on Sunday afternoon, home secretary Robert Jenrick when asked regarding if new age-related measures were likely, advised Times Radio: “This is just speculation.

“You’d expect the government to be considering each of the assortment of options that might be accessible.

“This ’s not something which is being actively considered. ”

Continue reading

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here