Latest updates: prime minister says there’s no reason to change approach after six people infected with Brazilian variant in UK
- Alarm over delays in border measures as Brazil Covid variant hits UK
- Health and postal services seeking person with Brazil Covid variant
- Watchdog criticises how UK government appointed Covid ‘tsars’
- Tory-linked PR firm to provide test and trace ‘reputation management’
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
Here are the main lines from the Downing Street lobby briefing.
That is a matter for the Northern Ireland executive and we obviously remain in close contact with them. Goods, including food, continue to flow through ports in Northern Ireland with the existing, interim agri-foods facilities in place.
Scotland’s health secretary, Jeane Freeman, speaking on the anniversary of Scotland’s first Covid case being detected, has downplayed the threat of a fresh outbreak after three Scots flew home with the highly transmissible Brazil variant.
Freeman said NHS contract tracers were now tracing the contacts of the three travellers, including all the passengers on their internal flight and the contacts of those contacts, in an effort to confirm there had been no community transmission of the Brazil “variant of concern”, known as P1.
Our lives have been turned upside down in ways which would have been unimaginable at the beginning of 2020. The last 12 months have brought grief and heartbreak.